Ghana, Senegal share the spoils

15 years ago

Ghana complete their first friendly test since March with a 1-1 drawn game against Senegal.

This is the second drawn friendly fixture between the Black Stars and the Teranga Lions after both sides drew goalless in a similar match last year.

Despite the Senegalese enjoying possession, Ghana made sure the score cards read in their favour with a 43rd minute lead by Asamoah Gyan at Millwall's The Den grounds in London on Tuesday.

But the outcome could have been so different had Sulley Muntari, Michael Essien and Asamoah Gyan connected earlier chances that came Ghana's way in the first half.

Aside the misses, the Teranga Lions also threatened for the lead but goalkeeper Richard Kingson was great in nipping all their opportunities in the bag.

However, after a series of close misses by both sides, the Asamoah Gyan expertly popped up in the penalty box to hit in the opener past Senegalese goalkeeper, Tony Sylva with the left foot from a deft overhead touch by Sulley Muntari.

The goal separated both sides as the two teams ended the half with Ghana leading 1-0.

Back from recess, the Senegalese made two changes and El Hadji Diouf took charge of their distribution, setting up play for the attackers.

Ghana conceded possession to their opponents and paid for it when in the 73rd minute, Diouf appeared to have scored from an offside position displacing Richard Kingson in post for Ghana.

A cross from the right side was hit into the six yard box and the Bolton player with no marker comfortably restored parity for the Senegalese.

After the equaliser both sides made wholesale changes with Claude Le Roy the bringing on Michael Helegbe, Yao Kumordzi, Junior Agogo, Ahmed Barruso and Andre Ayew.

The five substitutes took over from Michael Essien, Hans Adu Sarpei, Sulley Muntari, Anthony Annan and Haminu Draman.

Andre Ayew, son of former Black Stars captain, Abedi Ayew together with Ahmed Barruso earned their first cap as they enjoyed some few touched when they stepped onto the field int he closing stages of the game.

Ghana missed Black Stars captain, Stephen Appiah and his deputy, John Mensah, as both were ruled out of the game due to injury.

The game afforded Claude Le Roy the opportunity to continue his preparations for next year’s African Cup of Nations to be hosted by Ghana.

Ghana, by virtue of being host of the 2008 African Cup of Nations finals would not be playing any competitive match until January 2008, when the tournament kicks off in Accra.