Kotoko clinch league title

12 years ago

The league title for the 2007/2008 OneTouch Premier League has been decided finally. But as many as seven clubs remain in danger of becoming one of the three clubs going out of the top flight.

Kumasi Asante Kotoko have wrapped up their 21st league title - two more than their rivals, Hearts of Oak - after beating Real Sportive on Saturday at the Baba Yara Stadium.

The Porcupine Warriors before the game had opened a 10-point gap at the top of the standings with 12 points to play for but needing a win to seal the title, they did not disappoint as they held off the threat of Real Sportive to win 2-1.

Victory over Real Sportive helps Kotoko to extend their lead at the top to 13 points, clinching a well deserved title after getting off their campaign on a good start.

Striker, Kojo Poku set the tone for glory when he put the Porcupine Warriors in the lead after 14 minutes. But Real Sportive cancelled it out five minutes later as Richard Annan drew level.

Substitute, Kwabena Yaro’s 53rd minute goal sealed the day for the Porcupine Warriors as they hit the 60-point mark with three games now remaining.

The story was however different for the 15 other competition teams as they slug it out to notch continental places while some seek to avoid the drop to the division one league.

Heart of Lions still stayed at second place despite losing 2-0 at home to relegation strugglers, Hasaacas in Kpando.

Frederick Quayeson and Isaac Donkor were on the score sheet for the Sekondi-base side as they move to 13th on the table from the 15th position.

Liberty Professionals could not take advantage of the slip by Lions to close in as they were beaten 2-1 at the Tema Park by Tema Youth.

Edward Affum and Evans Annan put Tema Youth in the lead before Samuel Ayew Yeboah pulled a goal back for Liberty, as they still hold onto third place.

An 18th minute Francis Aggrey strike helped Berekum Arsenals to leapfrogged AshantiGold to fourth place on the standings in their match at the Golden City Park.

Dethroned league champions, Accra Heart of Oak and King Faisal shared the spoils at the Ohene Djan Stadium in their goalless draw match while Kessben FC and Gamba All Blacks played out a 1-1 drawn game.

Frederick Aburam put the Black Magicians ahead after 8 minutes but Emmanuel Burkason leveled up for Kessben.

At the Coronation Park in Sunyani, Zaytuna FC, serving the first of a three-match home ban beat All Stars 1-0 courtesy a goal by Ibrahim Issaka in the second half.

Great Olympics look much certain to make a return to the first division, just two seasons after returning to the elite league. The Wonder Boys failed to extend their winning streak beyond Real Tamale United at the Tamale Sports Stadium.

After a taking the lead in the 38th minute through Borketey Bortey, the Wonder Boys could not sustain their good to the start to the game as the home team rallied back in the second half to draw level through Fatau Owen before Abdul Salamn scored the match winner for RTU.

Olympics have 23 points and trail their closest competitors, Zaytuna and Real Sportive by 7 points with three games left to play.