Ghana spank Nigeria 4-1

15 years ago

Ghana has ended the fifteen-year winless run against Nigeria, beating their West African rivals 4-1 in an international friendly at Brentford’s Griffin park Tuesday night.

Three second half goals in a spate of 15 minutes sent Ghana into the lead before the Nigerians grabbed a consolation through a spot kick. But Ghana never looked back as it hit the fourth goal to seal a resounding win.

The result extended Ghana’s unbeaten run to five since her round of 16 exit from the World Cup finals last year and also marked the first win of the year.

Ghana’s win also capped a great day as Black Stars coach, Claude Le Roy celebrated his 59th birthday on Tuesday.

The scoreline was a repeat of the 1960 clash in Accra when Ghana hit Nigeria by the same result in a World Cup qualifier.

Certainly a game of two halves which the Nigerians came out tops in the first half though Ghana had decent goal scoring chances.

After just 34 seconds, Ghana’s goalkeeper, Richard Kingson was forced out of his post to make a clearance.

Both sides played with much caution but the first session ended with the Nigerians slightly on top.

However, the second half was a different story as Ghana returned to the pitch effecting one change, bringing on John Paintsil for Habib Mohammed.

And after 49 minutes, Laryea Kingson shot Ghana into the lead with a low drive from 22 yards that went past Vincent Enyeama into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later, Sulley Muntari made it 2-0 for Ghana when he shot into the roof of the net from the left after displacing Nigeria’s George Abbey off the ball in the box.

Ghana playing delightfully again raised into the lead in the 59 minute when Junior Agogo deftly tapped in from six yards an Asamoah Gyan cross from the right.

The Black Stars dictated the pace until Hans Adu Sarpei conceded a penalty which was converted by Taye Taiwo in the 64 minute.

The Ghana bench pulled out striker Junior Agogo for Joe Tex Frimpong. And the substitute after 76 minutes scored his debut goal for Ghana to make 4-1 connected from a Michael Essien pass.

As played continued, Black Stars captain, Stephen Appiah was taken off for Eric Addo. Ghana also gave run outs to Derek Asamoah who came on for Laryea Kingson in his first game for the Black Stars as Francis Dickoh come on for Michael Essien.

The friendly with the Super Eagles forms part of Ghana’s build up towards the African Cup of Nations next year.

The last of the sides meeting came in January 2006 at the African Cup of Nations in Egypt in a group game that the Nigerians won by a lone goal.

Ghana, by virtue of being host of the 2008 African Cup of Nations finals would not be playing any competitive match until January 2008, when the tournament kicks off in Accra.

The game with Nigeria was the first match against an African opposition for Claude Le Roy who enjoyed his fourth game as Ghana coach on his birthday and had the final word after Tuesday’s game against Nigeria.

Ghana line up: Richard Kingson, Hans Adu Sarpei, Habib Mohammed/John Paintsil, John Mensah, Shilla Illiasu, Michael Essien/Francis Dickoh, Laryea Kingson/Derek Asamoah, Stephen Appiah/Eric Addo, Asamoah Gyan, Junior Agogo/Joe Tex Frimpong, Sulley Muntari

Unused sub: Sammy Adjei