Mirren hand Kotoko first defeat

13 years ago

The New Year has certainly brought about some luck to a few clubs in Ghana’s elite football competition, the Glo Premier League, which recorded two major upsets on match-day-5.

Three sides – Mirren, Faisal and All Blacks - have finally pulled their first most important wins after five rounds of matches whiles the unbeaten runs of champions and current leaders, Asante Kotoko and Berekum Chelsea were halted over the weekend.

The defeats to Kotoko and Chelsea could hand Tema Youth the opportunity to go top of the standings today when they play Liberty Professionals at the Ohene Djan Stadium.

Sporting Mirren needed a new lease of life to get into the mix after having failed to pick a single point from a possible 12, having lost all their four previous games.

But the premiership debutants beat an unlikely opponent to record their first major win which lifts them from bottom of the table to 15th on the standings.

Champions, Asante Kotoko fell to the sword at the Ohene Djan Stadium in Accra on Sunday after losing 2-1.

The Porcupine Warriors drew first blood through an own goal by Richard Sasu in the 24th minute but Samuel Solomon ensured that Mirren went level before the break when he struck from a freekick.

Two minutes into the second half and youngster, Mahatma Otoo doubled the scoring for Sporting Mirren, heading the ball past goalkeeper, Eric Nii Baah.

With three minutes of play remaining, Kotoko had a goal by Stephen Oduro ruled out for outside. Referee Seidu Bomison’s decision led to an invasion of the field by angry Kotoko supporters, who held up play after a lengthy protest.

In Sunyani, defeat also came the way of Chelsea as the highflying debutants were finally brought to ground by Real Tamale United, losing 3-1.

Richard Atika put the hosts in the lead in the 4th minute but goals from Tahiru Sulemana, Toufik Alolo and Yakubu Imoro ended Chelsea’s unbeaten run.

The grudge Sekondi derby between Hasaacas and Eleven Wise ended 1-1.

Eric Agyapong’s second half goal handed King Faisal their first win of the season as the Kumasi side beat Berekum Arsenal 1-0 at the Baba Yara Stadium.

Gamba All Blacks who made a return to their favourite Swedru Sports Stadium also recorded their first win after beating Kessben FC 1-0 courtesy a Daniel Asamoah goal.

Hearts of Oak and All Stars shared the spoils in their 1-1 drawn game at the Wa Park. Eric Gawu put the visitors in the lead in the first half but Daniel Bomfah got the equaliser for the Blues in the second half to maintain their unbeaten record.

At the Len Clay stadium in Obuasi, AshantiGold ended their three-game losing run with a goalless draw against Heart of Lions.